Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In which I talk about running

I haven't talked much about running here, but my facebook friends have been bombarded with runkeeper updates for the past ten weeks or so.  Sorry guys!  So now I'll bombard the whole world.  Or those who read my blog.  Who are likely the same people who are my friends on facebook.  Umm...sorry again guys!
In July, I joined a 5K training team intended for those sedentary folks like me who couldn't run 4 minutes without gasping for air.  The team was sponsored by our local outdoor supply store, Solstice Outdoors, and it was a pretty sweet deal.  You paid $20 and for that tiny fee, each participant received: a training plan, a coach, people to run with and keep them accountable, an awesome wicking t-shirt emblazoned with the Solstice logo, and entry into a little 5K race.  If you completed the race, you got some gatorade, a smoothie, and a $20 gift certificate to use at Solstice.  Like I said, sweet deal.  (I bought these super comfy, uber cute shoes with assistance from my gift certificate.)
The best time I'd had before the race had been just over 3 miles at a 8:58 pace.  Since my original goal had been to do the race at under 10:00 miles, I was stoked about this.  Brian said that he was betting I'd be closer to 8:00 miles for the race and I laughed in his face.  That was a week away and he thought I was going to cut off :30 a mile or more!?  Ha.
Well, race day came and I was feeling awesome.  Had some pre-race jitters, but nothing terrible.  And then when we started running, I realized I was going to go faster than most of the others.  So I got in line behind two other girls (who had been way ahead of me in trainings) and kept up with them to the halfway point.  They both stopped to get some water, but since I hadn't been drinking water during my runs, I just kept running.  As a result, I finished the race in 2nd place (behind the son of the high school's cross country coach who was by no means a new runner so he totally doesn't count) at 25 minutes, 24 seconds.  That's an 8:11 pace.  I should really stop doubting what Brian says in regards to running...
Now as my little brother so kindly pointed out, that's still not unbelievably fast.  (Thanks Sam....ya stinker.)  But it was better than I ever could have imagined.  I mean, I was doing over 13:00 miles the first day and literally could not run 4 minutes without feeling like I was dying.
After the race, I decided I could keep going.  So I signed up for the Cruisin' the Corridor 10K a mere four weeks later.  Then I got a nasty cold and didn't run for 6 days.  Luckily, when I did run, I made it to 4 miles.  Then two days later, I got up to 4.25 miles.  All while still keeping my pace under 9:40.  So I have hopes that I'll make it.
Here's the training plan I've concocted (and Brian approved) for the remaining time before the race:
Phew!
I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks for reading (if you actually did read and didn't skim.  If you skimmed, well, thanks anyway.)

-Everett is 2 years, 9 months and Callum is 7 months, 2 days

1 comment:

Brittney said...

I read the whole thing! :) Now you made me feel bad about my non-existent running!

Seriously though, great job! I remember you disliked running in college so the fact that you are doing all these races is super impressive! You go girl!