Saturday, April 12, 2014

Baby 3.0 has arrived!

Here's the birth story, in detail, so if you're squeamish, turn away now.

Just before 5 am, I woke up with the same sort of contractions I had been having all week, but they actually seemed to be getting a little more intense this time.  I decided it was probably going to be birth day and went downstairs to make myself some toast, occupy myself, and time contractions.  I didn’t want to wake anyone up super early on a Saturday until I was sure it was the real deal.  By 6:30ish, I knew it was happening this morning and things started getting very intense, very fast.
I called the midwife at 6:50am , tried to get ahold of my mom (to babysit), and Callum woke up requesting to “get dressed.”  By this point, I wasn’t going to be able to get him dressed so I told him to wake up daddy and flipped on the light.  I put my contacts in (haha), we got ahold of my mom, and by 7:30, we were at the birth center.  I managed to speed walk the half a block to the birth center without being totally debilitated by a contraction.  
Since my midwife’s apprentice lives a good 30 minutes away, she was still making her way there while the midwife tried to madly fill the birth pool.  She had the hose going plus buckets.  Brian said it reminded him of Mickey and the brooms in Fantasia.  That got a chuckle out of me in between the contractions.  While she filled the pool, I labored on the ball.  I could tell we were well into transition but my midwife didn’t want to stop to check me when there was a tub to be filled.  I had maybe 8 contractions on the ball before the tub was filled and at the right temp at 7:52 am.  After that, I had maybe 6 more contractions in the tub, and wow were they the most intense thing ever.  My water burst in the water and then his head literally felt like a bowling ball just sitting in my bottom and I did not care for that pressure AT ALL.  I needed to get rid of that pressure and so once I was told I could push, I pushed with all my might.  
Lachlan was born under water at 8:11 am and Brian pulled him to the surface.  As soon as he was out, he was screaming his head off.  We moved to the bed where he continued to be angry at the world for his very speedy entry.  I got to see the placenta, sac, and cord and it was awesome.  Sorry, but it was.  The placenta was huge and he tore a hole in the sac just big enough for him to squeeze through.
He didn’t even want to nurse right away, he was so busy screaming, but after a few minutes he latched on like an old pro and he’s already getting his colostrum (and killing my uterus with contractions when he does.  Yay for tylenol and ibuprofen round the clock.).  
We spent an hour bonding before we got his measurements.  7lbs 14oz, 21.5” long, 36cm head and 35cm chest.  His apgars were all perfect.  He’s the pinkest, roundest little thing and looks identical to Everett’s pictures.   He tried to sleep away most of the day and had to be forced to wake up and eat.
His pulse hangs out on the low side but he is consistently at a 99-100 sat level so we’re doing a bunch of checks on his pulse and O2 sats and he’s passing with flying colors, but we’re going to stay overnight and keep doing checks just to be on the safe side.  We actually got the head cardiologist at children’s in Minneapolis to consult on the whole thing so we’re feeling fantastic!


3 comments:

Sarah (aka Mom) said...

Awww!!! Congratulations!!!

Tammy McPherson said...

Thanks for the birth story..... Love it!

The Edwardsesesesss said...

He is perfect and you are awesome!!!!