Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lachlan update - 3 days old

Lachlan continues to be super baby.  After a super fast birth that went exactly as I'd hoped, not a single tear, and a perfect latch on the very first time, this kid is just on a roll.  Despite the slower heartrate than typical, he continually managed to maintain a 99-100 O2 sat level and it is no longer a concern at all.  His little umbilical stump is completely dry and won't stick around too much longer.  He has managed to bring in his milk already and helped mama be almost done with cramping and bleeding.
He passed his hearing test this morning in both ears with the highest possible score.  He's down to 7lbs 6 oz today, but was allowed to go down to 7lbs 1oz, so we're good there.  Now that he's gulping down milk, we shouldn't have a problem getting back to birth weight by two weeks.  This is such an awesome feeling after all the problems with Everett losing weight in his first few days.
So far, his skin tone is still awesome and I'm hoping the oncoming snowstorm (yes, snow...) won't prevent us too much from getting him a little sunshine.  Fortunately, this whole being a third time mom thing is great for the nerves and I don't stress about all this newborn stuff that no one tells you.  It's great having read articles for years now, so I know more about things like, how jaundice in breastfed newborns is totally normal.
Callum is having a little bit of a rough time adjusting to not being the baby, but not bad.  He's not that interested in baby (as opposed to Everett, who is all over the poor thing, haha), but he's done a few sweet things and I have hope that he'll warm up to him soon.
I have been feeling fantastic (way better than being 40 weeks pregnant) and we've been up and moving, out and about, and living life since Sunday.  We went to library story time and the grocery store yesterday, brought Everett to school this morning, and have been surviving the day while Brian is off at work for meetings.  Thankfully, he'll be home again tomorrow because I am missing my little naptime today and think we might have to stop for a coffee before picking up Everett today.
But overall, life is great.  My three minions are fantastic.  I'm one happy mama.

No comments: