I think it's been every time now that we've run into a little concern about newborn's weights. Everett was the most traumatic one, losing a pound within 9 days of birth, a bad latch, etc. I honestly don't remember if Callum ever lost much. Lachlan was a tiny concern for a little bit.
He was born at 7 pounds, 14 ounces. At 3 days, he was all the way down to 7 pounds, 6 ounces. At this point, he should have started putting on weight, but at ten days, he was only at 7 pounds, 8 ounces. Since that wasn't quite what we were expected, our midwife decided she would come back four days later to check again. Now babies are SUPPOSED to be back at their birth weight by two weeks. Obviously Everett was not, I think Callum was. It was pretty clear to me at this point that Lachlan would not. We were hoping to see him at 7 pounds, 10 ounces today. So I drank tea, made lactation cookies, and had some pale ale in those four days to try and up my supply and made sure he was nursing frequently.
Today's weigh in? 7 pounds, 12 ounces! We did it! Only 2 ounces shy of birth weight and he gained an ounce per day this week. We will take it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment