Wednesday, July 13, 2011

No Helmet!

Early this morning (9am Ha!), I took Callum in for his Physical Therapy evaluation.  And as you can see from the title, no helmet will be required!  Hooray!  The PT did immediately see and identify the problem - a flat spot on the right side of his head.  She doesn't think it's bad enough to warrant a helmet though, and hopefully we'll be able to work everything out through PT, massage and stretches at home.  After talking, we decided this likely started from his crib's position in relation to my bed.  Since he likes to face me, he continued to lie on the right side of his head, creating a flat spot.  Once that side was flatter than the other, it became easier for him to just stay there, making it worse.  He has some tightness in his neck, but it doesn't appear to be true torticollis since he likes to tuck his chin down onto his right shoulder.  So we got a sheet of instructions on massage and stretches and we're to encourage him to face the left more often.  He'll be going to PT weekly for a few weeks and then re-evaluate.
In some me news, I've decided to join a couch-to-5K team run by out local outdoor clothing/supply store, Solstice Outdoors.  It costs $20 for the 8 week program, but you get a t-shirt and if you complete the program and 5K race, you get $20 store credit!  Awesome, no?  So this will be my real intro to running and I'll have a group and program to keep me going.  And I'll do my first race!  Which means I can hopefully train enough to do the 10K at Whistlestop.  Hooray me!  :)

No comments: