Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Half Marathon Training - Day 1

Well, I'm officially signed up for my first half-marathon.  gulp.  It's not until the end of October, so I'm not totally absolutely insane, but still.  Right?
I signed up for the Whistlestop Marathon that takes place right here in town every year.  You might remember that last year, I did the 10K race in the same setting.  Doing the 10K again seems like I'd just be at a standstill in my running progress and I'm pretty sure I'm physically capable of running 13 miles (at what pace is an entirely different matter).  Brian is also signed up for the same race, so I have a constant running buddy.  I'm going to attempt to go off the schedule set in Runner's World for a beginner to do a half marathon (which I can't find on their website, so I don't really feel comfortable posting, but you'll see it as I go along....if I keep up with the blogging on it....).
Yesterday's run was a 2 miler.  Since I hurt my hip early this spring, I had taken a huge break from running and just started back up last week.  I had done a 2 mile and a 2.25 mile last week, so yesterday was back to the beginning.  Because of this, I decided I'd try out my five fingers for the first time.  I've worn them around town but not yet running in them.  Let me tell you, that was something else.  It didn't hurt but I definitely had to adjust the way I was running.  As soon as I started, my right heel was sore.  Odd.  Maybe that is why my right hip had been hurting?  Had I been heel striking on just one side and didn't realize it?  That's the beauty of these shoes.  You have to run correctly or it hurts right away.  Besides my feet feeling hot, it wasn't too bad.  Until this morning.  Can you say sore calves????  But sore in a good way, not a bad way.  I'm definitely going to keep using them for short runs and use my Brooks for the long runs.
I'm supposed to do three miles tomorrow and 4 miles Sunday.   I'm still trying to decide if I make Sunday's run part of our town summer festival, which has a 5 and 10K on Saturday.  If I do, I should probably only do the 5K which makes me feel like a slacker.  We shall see.

No comments: