Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gluten and Dairy Free Trial

Hi.  I'm Beth.  I write this blog.  I figured I'd better introduce myself since I haven't been here since.....nevermind that....I'm here now!  :)
I have had little to no ambition to blog lately and I blame my health frustrations for most of it.  As I posted about before, I have been having digestion problems since late October when they appeared out of the blue after a 10 mile run.  Since then, I have had days when I feel pretty much normal and fine, and I've had days when I feel very blah, and I've had a few days when I am so exhausted, I can't get off the couch and just manage to keep the boys fed and Callum in a fresh diaper.  Last Friday was one of those days and I've had enough.  So starting yesterday, I plunged myself into a gluten and dairy free diet for two weeks.  Although I tested negative for celiac disease (thank goodness), it is still entirely possible for me to have developed an intolerance/sensitivity to gluten or lactose.  So I'm cutting them and seeing if I feel better.  If I do, I'll try reintroducing one and see how I feel.  It's a whole lot of trial and error but what else am I left with when there's nothing "medically" wrong?  To keep myself accountable, I decided I'd blog my meals for the two weeks (not necessarily a post every day, but I'll try to keep track of all the meals).
Day 1 -
Breakfast: Rice crispies with almond milk, grapes, coffee
Snack: Kind Bar
Lunch: leftover rice and peas, corn tortilla with chicken and fried bell peppers, grapes, almond milk
Snack: PB and banana, pecan thins, vanilla hazelnut tea
Dinner: Chicken and veggie soup (2 bowls full), water
Snack: Homemade dark PB cups
Felt less bloated at the end of the day.  Weight 99 lbs.  Woke up feeling my typical quasi-queasiness.

1 comment:

The Pajama Mama said...

Be careful with Rice Krispies - I think they may have gluten. You can do this!