Last night we had our first of two childbirth class sessions. With my experience working in the OB department in high school, living with my mother, and just being so smart, I didn't really learn that much. But it was reassuring to hear all the information again and know that Brian was forced to hear it too! He was an excellent "coach" (lamest name ever) and made sure I was stocked up on hot chocolate, orange juice, and graham crackers for the full three hours. Apparently the center realizes that a bunch of pregnant ladies don't want to sit in a hard chair for three hours, so they also had these little wrestling mats that you could sit on. No one else really used one, but I was all over that idea! I even had our two pillows propped up behind me and leaned on Bri's legs. Now, for the nutjobs. Of course, we had the obligatory high schooler there, which wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't brought along her know-it-all, white-trash mom who talked waaaaay too much. Her boyfriend also showed up later, so their little group of three was just a spectacle to behold. The best/weirdest/OMG situation though, was this very normal-seeming couple. The woman did seem very anxious about the whole idea of giving birth and stated her "biggest fear/concern" during the icebreaker as the "genital mutilation" that would occur. Then, we watched a 9 minute video about the stages of labor and lo and behold, they took 3 seconds to show a baby crowning. At this point, the girl turned away from the t.v. screen and apparently told her husband, "we need to leave now!" They got up, walked out, and never returned. What the heck?!? You are obviously the person most in need of this class (even more so than high school girl) and you get up and leave because you saw a glimpse of what's going to happen to you next month??? WOW! There's $45 down the drain. Nutjob.
Anyway!
Today Brian went for a run and then had to go down to the lab. I decided to take this opportunity to browse Borders and picked up Snowpea's first book! It was hard to decide because they had an awesome fabric version of "Are you my mother?" with a little stuffie bird that could sit in his nest and in the snort, but I ultimately decided that he would enjoy this book more:
It's a touch/feel book about kittens! Since Snowpea will be born into a family of two merrows, he needs a book about them!I also had to mosey myself on down to starbucks and pick up a tall decaf pumpkin spice latte. Seriously, this is one of the reasons I like the fall. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment