Obviously after two boys with more unique names, you've figured out that I'm not a fan of the uber popular, trendy, and common names. I thought it might be interesting to explain our name choices for our lovely boys.
We'll go ahead and start with Everett.
The year Everett was born, the name was the 382nd most popular name for boys in the U.S. This comes out to about .04% of boys born that year - a total of 796 babies. It was much more popular in 1901 and 1894 when it ranked as 86th most popular boy's name. In 1921, there were 1913 boys born who were named Everett. This explains why most of the time when someone hears the name, they say something like, "Oh, I had a grandfather/great uncle named Everett!" I love that reaction - seriously! I have never once regretted choosing the name Everett and we've only met one other little Everett so far.
Everett is a form of the name Everard, which is a Germanic name meaning, strong as a wild boar. And boy is he strong and wild boar-like! The child is definitely spirited. The Normans introduced the name to England and has only rarely been used since the Middle Ages.
I first heard the name Everett while watching a terrible movie called The Family Stone. (Seriously, a terrible movie!) But the character was tall, dark, and handsome and the name stuck with me.
His middle name is Paschal, which is a family name on Brian's side (also Brian's middle name). No one ever knows how to pronounce or spell it, but hey, it's a middle name!
Callum's up next!
The data obviously isn't in for babies born in 2011, and still not in for 2010, but in 2009, the name was ranked 871st in the U.S. That comes out to .01% of boys - a total of 239 babies. Much farther back. It wasn't in the top 1000 names before 2008 at all. However, in 2008, Callum was the 28th most popular boy's name in the UK. It has consistently been much more popular there, so if the little guy ever moves across the pond, he'll be a lot less unique.
The name is from the late Latin name Columba, meaning Dove. See? We learned from naming Everett something about a wild boar. We're sticking with more gentle, quiet animals this time. :) Columba is the name of several early saints, including a 6th century Irish monk who established a monastery on the island of Iona off the coast of Scotland. He is credited with the conversion of Scotland to Christianity.
I first saw the name Callum as the name of another little boy born around the same time as Everett whose mother frequents the same pregnancy/parenting boards as me. Since she lives somewhere in the Carolinas, it's not name-napping, right?
Callum's middle name is George, which happens to be the name of both Brian's and my great-grandfathers on our mothers' sides. And the name of the now-dead, but formerly cute and lovable character on Grey's Anatomy. :)
Phew! See why choosing names is so hard for me!? My brain has to process all of this information for any name that I actually consider. Also why Callum was not officially named until the morning after he was born. Just for funsies, the other names we were debating between were: Declan, Dexter, Finnegan, and Archer.
2 comments:
Thanks for the name stuff! I love hearing how people choose names! I love how you said that people have heard the name because a grandparent has that... we get that a lot too!
I'm also with you about not loving the super-popular names... I am so bummed because I've loved Sophia for YEARS and it was #1 last year. #1!!! So I guess we'll have to come up with a new one too... if I ever have a girl of course!
Oh and I love the name Dexter but I'm glad you didn't choose that since Sam used to watch that TV show and it's kind of icky. :)
Glad Callum, nursing, and big brother are all doing so well! I've heard the second child is a bigger adjustment than the first so my hat's off to you!! You guys look like you are pros! :)
Thanks for the post on names -- love it !!
Post a Comment