Friday, March 11, 2011

Babies Don't Keep

This poem has been making its way around the message board/blog circuits and I am a sheep, so I'm following suit.  Grab a tissue.

Babies Don’t Keep
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.


Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
 

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
 

But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.


The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.


Callum is two weeks old today and I cannot believe it.  He's my tiny little (big) snugglebaby and I could keep him this way forever.  I am relishing every snuggly moment with him because I know I am going to turn around and he'll be a crazy two year old who doesn't have time for snuggles and is stronger than he knows.    So I take some time every day and we just stare at each other, getting to know each other, and eating up these adorable newborn (he's still a newborn, right?!) moments. 
Callum's still just the most laid back, calm little guy.  He screams at diaper changes but if he's hungry, cold, wants a clean diaper or just to be held, he only fusses and grunts until we fix whatever's wrong.  He has gotten to be a bit of a lazy nurser at night, only staying awake for five minutes or so (and by awake, I mean capable of sucking and not just snuggling, open-mouthed). 
Everett was very excited last night to share his bath with baby brother, even if mama was kneeling in the tub holding on to him.  He only splashed baby's face with water twice.  :)
Yesterday the sun was out, so I assembled our new stroller and we went on a walk.  Then the walk wasn't long enough, so we walked to pick up daddy from work.  Apparently this idea surprises some because 13 day postpartum moms aren't supposed to go pushing a stroller through the mud for a mile or so.  Huh.  I'm just excited for the snow to melt and the days to get longer so I can get back into running.  We're going to see how it goes this summer, but I'm hoping to do some length of race at the whistlestop in October.
Anyway!  My coffee's getting cold and Callum needs a diaper change.  Oh yeah, and I should probably take a shower.....hmmm....

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm so proud of you !
Despite being such an overachiever, you can take the time to soak up baby moments like these.... awesome !

Miss Kassie Lynn said...

I love this poem; makes me cry though!