Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sleep and Potties

Since both boys are currently napping (but only slightly overlapping so I'm still awake....), I thought I'd whip up a blog post.  Another reason I am not currently asleep is because Callum was a darling and gave me 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night!  It was fantastic!  We had a walk to the park/lunch at our house playdate today and Everett was exhausted by the end.  He lost his ability to share toys or hold himself together.  But despite all that, he managed to not have a single accident.  What's that?  I didn't mention that he's potty-training?  Oh yes.  My little bug is using the potty (for #1 only) consistently now.  It all started when Everett went to hang out with grandma for the day on Saturday (I was sick with a nasty cold - thanks Christy! ;p) and worked on potty training with his puppy potty over there.  It was hit and miss that day and Sunday.  Suddenly, he figured it out.  He's been steadily improving all week.
On Wednesday, we had playgroup and I popped him in a cloth diaper (bum genius 4.0 with velcro closure), but we went to the bathroom every 10 minutes (he was telling me that he had to go that often) and he stayed completely dry, including on our walk to and from the center!  The diaper I happened to grab was perfect for this because I could keep undoing the velcro, popping the diaper off, hoisting Ev up onto the potty, and then could re-apply the still dry diaper, pull pants back up, and be on our way.  He's still wetting his diaper at naptime, but who cares!  Today he hasn't even been going as often and still remembering to go when he feels the urge.  You could not find a more proud mama!  He's wearing his new "unders" at home and elastic waist pants, and he insists on going into the bathroom alone and doing his thing (now if only he would listen and not attempt to dump his potty into the toilet on his own....).  We've even managed to get one poopy in the potty, but he just hasn't been going as much.  After that one instance, I was so excited that he got super excited and we had to call daddy at work right away (poor Brian.  :D).  Ev's consistently had a dirty diaper in the morning when he wakes up (disposable) and I'm wondering if he's holding it in more or just doesn't have to go as much (because that boy used to poop A LOT).
Anyway.  Yes, I am amazed and beyond pleased that he has taken this "big boy" thing and run with it, right into the potty training department.  Another thing that I am extremely pleased with?  Ev's big brother behavior.  He still doesn't like it if other kids get too close to Callum and is very wary of other adults (besides mama, daddy, and grandparents) holding him.  I noticed that whenever one of my friends was holding Callum at playgroup (which was a lot, since I was running to and from the bathroom every 10 minutes), he would eye them a bit, sidle up to them, and rub Callum's head for a while.  He is just super protective of his baby and (almost) always rushes to help if baby brother is crying and needs a nuk.  He tries to give him toys and loves to make sure Callum has his Thing 2 bear anytime Everett has his Thing 1 bear.  (Auntie C brought back two bears from Universal Studios that are wearing red Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts).
In non-potty or sleeping or baby news, I am finally getting my day care certification stuff done.  I need to get a couple more papers to the certifier and she needs to do some background checks for Indiana.  AND, I got a phone call from a prospective client!  My buddy Monica gave her my name because she doesn't have enough openings and she called me yesterday.  Two kids, ages 3 and 5, full time, and one needs some daily therapies.    Yikes!  But it would definitely make me feel like I am working and doing something with my education background and doing some good in the world.  So I'll be keeping in touch with her about my certification status and we'll see where things go.  Another friend of mine who used to do day care has also offered to let me look through her old stuff for daily plans, weekly themes, and activity ideas.  So this ball is actually starting to roll.
AND, since I ran out of household budget a week or so ago, I haven't been allowed to go shopping.  It was actually really cool though.  Our fridge is quite sparse and we've been eating down what we have.  Much more cost-efficient and generally good for everyone and the planet.  We haven't had to throw away much except some mushrooms (because I really don't care much for mushrooms).  So I had to make up a shopping list for tomorrow and to do that, I also needed some dinner ideas.
So here's my dinner menu for the next week and some change!

Friday, April 1 – pizza and pineapple
Saturday, April 2 – slow cooker vegetarian chili/soup (freeze half, some  for lunches) & corn muffins
Sunday, April 3 – roast in crock pot (get roast out of freezer)
Monday, April 4 – shepherd’s pie with leftover roast
Tuesday, April 5 – fish on grill, baked potatoes
Wednesday, April 6 – honey chicken kabobs
Thursday, April 7 (mama to ElDo) – leftovers????
Friday, April 8 – lentil stew
Saturday, April 9 – slow cooker enchiladas (get beef out)
Sunday, April 10 – whole chicken dinner

1 comment:

Megan said...

I want your menu items delivered around 6 each night to my table, please :)