Tuesday, November 1, 2011

National Blogging Month and Flu Shots

Some people will be blogging every day during the month of November.  I promise you that will not be happening here.  Not with Everett having TWO birthday parties (which I am completely unprepared for!), Thanksgiving, daycare babies, Christmas present making, etc......yeah.  Will not happen.  But I'll make a conscious effort to blog a bit more frequently than once/week or so.
The boys and I got our flu shots this morning.  I was overjoyed at the experience.  There is no sarcasm in that, I'm dead serious.  First, they asked if Everett should get the nasal spray or shot.  After discussing it with them, I determined that the only benefit of the spray is that he doesn't get poked and then there's the factor that it's a live virus... So I said, "poke him!"  Then I mentioned the downside of the shot being the thimerosal and the nurse (?, np?) said, "Oh, we have preservative free shots.  We give them to anyone under 3.  Do you want one too?"  Umm....heck yes!  I asked if there was any extra cost for the preservative-free version and she assured me there was not.
So then.  I was going to go first and Everett said, "NO!  I go first!"  Ok then.  So he climbed up on the chair, we picked an arm, I held his arm steady, and the nurse gave him the shot.  Didn't. even. flinch.  Not a peep.  Got his bandaid and stepped to the side for brother's turn.  We exposed Cally's giant thigh for the nurse, popped a nuk in his mouth and when he got the shot, his eyes got big and he whined a bit, but that was it.  Then Everett picked out stickers for each of them (Wonder Pets for him and Olivia for brother), and it was my turn.  I got poked and said, "Ouch!"  Yeah, I'm a wuss.  Good thing I went last.  Then we got donuts.  The end.

No comments: