Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Obviously, I got just what I wanted for my birthday this year! Besides, I'm pretty sure they don't make gift receipts for babies... :)
Yesterday, we received a DVD of Happiest Baby on the Block from Brian's mom. Bri was convinced that Everett cried all the time...until we watched the DVD! He then realized that our little guy is pretty content. He does, however, still have his days and nights switched around. Happily, the DVD did show us a few tricks for calming a crying baby and we tried some out last night when Ev just wanted to be up and awake and moving. Brian was absolutely wonderful last night and took Everett out, put him in his sling (also from his mom!), and walked around the living room/read a book TWICE while I got some sleep. We're not totally unbalanced here because I also had to get up a few times to feed him during the night. And Brian can't really do that. :)
We have a follow-up appointment with the lactation consultant today, but I'm waiting to hear back from her because Everett's been doing so well, we might wait until Monday to follow up. It's amazing how well her advice has helped. I look forward to feedings instead of being ready to cry, and Everett is pleased to finally have some real milk instead of just colostrum.
We are savoring every moment with this beautiful little guy and love staring into his big eyes. Last night (after Brian elatedly swaddled Everett using the tips on the DVD), the cutie was wide awake and just looking at everything. Brian took this opportunity to start reading The Lorax to him while he sat in his bouncer. (The bouncer, by the way, is amazing! It is where he spends all of his daytime naps and where he sits when he is awake and we are not holding him.)
Brian left for the lab to work on a big bridge project and Everett and I are sitting here watching the Today show (thank goodness for TiVo!!!!). This afternoon, we plan to get out of the house by possibly going to the lactation consultant follow-up, and finding ourselves a little christmas tree! I know it will only be able to be up for two weeks, but we MUST have a tree for Everett's first holiday season! I also need to find some new bras (huge!). Brian also picked up a little space heater yesterday because our bedroom gets cold at night if we keep the door shut (to keep cats out).
Anyways! It's time for Everett's lunch!

No comments: