Sunday, July 25, 2010

Boy eating kale quiche

Well, I think I can safely say that I made up the recipe.  That's right, I looked off so many recipes and made so many changes that I am saying this is my very own, very first, recipe!  And for once this week of the missing daddy, I finally feel like I did not fail my child nutritionally.  The boy ate two pieces of kale quiche.  What's that?  You want proof?  Here you go then:


Okay, now that that's done, is he not the cutest thing learning to talk?  I do think so.  Nevermind the whole fiasco that occurred while I was making this lovely meal.....

So without further ado, my first recipe!  (and I am realizing that I'm turning into my gramma with the whole accurate measurement thing....)

Kale Quiche
Ingredients:
  • pastry crust - I did 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour, 1/3 c. chilled shortening, 1/2 t. sea salt, and 1/4 c. ice water.  Look up your own instructions.  ;) 
  • 3 slices turkey bacon
  • olive oil 
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • bunch of kale (or spinach, or collard greens, you know, something nutritious and green), washed, de-stemmed, cut into small-ish strips
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2-3/4 c. shredded cheese (I didn't really measure....and I just used the shredded fiesta blend in my fridge)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 c. milk (the fatter the better!  I used 2%)
  • dash of nutmeg

Instructions:
Make your pastry crust.  Like I said, I don't feel like detailing this part.  Put the crust into a nice pie plate.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook up that turkey bacon until nice and crisp.  While that is cooking, saute the onion in a bit of olive oil until tender and somewhat clear.  Add the kale strips and continue sauteing over medium heat until slightly wilted.

Pour the onion and kale right onto your pastry crust.  Crumble your cooled turkey bacon into little bits and add that to the kale/onion in the crust.  Salt and pepper a little bit for some flavor.  Add cheese to the mix and stir up a little bit (without destroying your crust, of course).

In a bowl, whip up your eggs and milk until frothy.  Add just a dash of nutmeg.  Pour the mixture on top of the kale/onion/bacon in the crust.

Gently pop the whole thing into the preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes.  Once it looks firm (doesn't jiggle) and slightly brown on top, remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.

Slice up like a pie and enjoy!


Oh, and one more thing, not recipe related.  Is this my boy or what?

No comments: