Well, you got all my happiness, now you're stuck with my crying too. After having troubles with Everett latching correctly and seeing a lactation consultant to fix that, our follow-up appointment was even worse. Everett still has not gained any weight, and has in fact, managed to lose more. Despite all of his frequent nursing and adequate wet diapers, it turns out his ineffective sucking has deprived him of calories. He's down to 6lbs, 10oz. So, obviously, something has to be done. We are now on a strict schedule of every two to three hours, nursing for a half hour, pumping for 15 minutes, and then feeding him what was pumped plus the evil formula until he has been supplemented with 1oz per feeding. We also have to go in to see the pediatrician again this week (goodbye insurance!) to see if he gained anything. I opted out of using a supplemental feeding apparatus for fear it would just frustrate me every time and we're going to use the drop-in bottles we got at the baby shower. I'm hoping that Ev's poor sucking didn't do too much damage to my supply and I'll be able to supplement at least the majority with breastmilk. I have to keep myself from thinking about how my baby was starving and think instead about how it's good we caught it right now and can work with it instead of having to go to the ER or worse. Also, Brian now gets an opportunity to help feed Everett, which he looks forward to. It's going to be a rough 24 hours (at least) for me and I just need to try and not cry myself sick in the meanwhile. I know it will get better....it's just hard right now.
1 comment:
How is it going Beth? I have been thinking about you guys since I read your post last night. I hope the night went okay!
Post a Comment