Monday, February 21, 2011

39/40 week check up

First I guess I should play catch-up briefly.  Friday night, I got sick.  Again.  I think Ev's daycare is polluting us with every stomach bug known to man.  I got hit hard and fast and was heaving until there was nothing left.  This triggered some nasty, constant contractions.  Like 30 seconds long and 2 minutes apart.  I knew I was extremely dehydrated and kept vomiting water so I told Brian I wanted to go into L&D.  I felt bad for calling everyone in, but I had no idea if this was going to segue into real labor or not.  So my mom and siblings came to watch Ev, the doulas drove into town, and we headed to the hospital.  I was monitored for a couple hours, managed to get some fluids in, and made no progress toward real labor, so went home. 

Saturday night, Brian got sick.  Then we knew for sure that mine had just been dehydration (again.  Man am I bad about the dehydration and contractions this time!).  We all stayed home in pajamas yesterday, resting and Brian took today off work too so that he could recover, not infect his office, and work from home.

Fast forward to today.  Yes, there is a "40" in that title.  I am 39 weeks, 5 days today.  After rushing to the clinic this morning because I realized my appointment was at 9, not 9:15, I was told the doctor had been called away anyway.  So I was rescheduled for 1:15.  Luckily, since Brian was home from work today, I could swing that time and go in while Everett napped.  I've gained a pound, everything is still a-ok BP-wise and such.  We didn't even do an internal check because really, what's the point?  As the doctor said, there's really no more progress to be made before I'm in labor.  He said he's giving me one more week.  He is open to inducing at any point, but since I think pitocin is the devil, I told him I really want to avoid induction.  So he'll allow me until next Monday.  If little boy here still hasn't decided to make an appearance by then, we'll be talking induction.  If baby were just like his big brother, labor would start tonight at 1am and we would be holding the little guy in our arms before 6am.  Who knows!  I'm extremely tired today, whether due to recovering from the bug or preparing for baby, I don't know, but I decided to just go with the flow and take two naps today.  I haven't decided if I'll go to work tomorrow or if I'll take the day off to be alone and sleep.  Right now, I'm leaning toward the sleeping.

No comments: