Thursday, March 1, 2012

Clean Food Challenge - Day 1

I am participating in a one week real food challenge that started today.  Here's the link.  The rule is basically that you can't eat anything with ingredients you don't recognize.  So those long chemical looking names in ingredient lists?  Nope! I generally try to do this in everyday life anyway, but I decided that this official challenge would force me to examine how well I'm doing.  Often, I will feed the babies all real, healthy food and I'll eat something quick and easy (dangerous).

So here's my first day in detail -


Breakfast:
-Realized my prenatal vitamins have three different dyes in them.  Ick.  My next multivitamin will have to be from the co-op, I guess.
-A couple bites of wheat toast with butter and organic apricot spread (before Callum stole the rest)
-A piece and a half of cranberry/walnut sourdough bread (from bakery) with cream cheese,  peach juice, coffee with new coffeemate natural bliss vanilla creamer

Morning snack (quiet, you):
-More coffee
-A grapefruit (minus some bites that other child stole) with a tiny bit of sugar on top

Lunch:
-Sandwich: red pepper bread from bakery with sun dried tomato deli turkey, shredded “fiesta blend” cheese, green bell pepper, organic spinach, all toasted.
-Bearitos organic tortilla chips
-Glass of skim milk
FAIL: Without thinking at all, I ate a Thanks-a-lot girl scout cookie!  Definitely not real food.  I didn’t even make it a full day!  L

Afternoon:
-Calming herbal tea

Dinner:
-Brown rice
-Palak paneer (from packages, but ok!)
-Patra (which is apparently an Indian snack/side dish - my friend Megan sent Brian home with a bunch of Indian food a couple weeks ago)
-Garlic naan (this one is pretty much a fail too but I'm pretending it's not because I LOVE naan and I will not NOT eat it.)  See?
Dessert: 
-Snow ice cream (1 c. milk, 1 tsp vanilla, about 1/3 c. sugar, 4 c. fresh snow)

The other participating mamas:

2 comments:

Nicole @ The Kavanaugh Report said...

Snow ice cream sounds awesome!

The Pajama Mama said...

Um...snow ice cream is the star of this post!!