Friday, September 24, 2010

Abstract Concepts

My boy is kind of a genius.  It's really an amazing thing to watch him learn and make connections.  Lately, he has been obsessed with colors and asking "cuh-lore?" about anything he sees.  Yesterday, I realized he's actually absorbing some of it.  It was windy and rainy, so the bay was muddy looking and I commented as we drove by, "oh, our lake is brown today."   Normally, Everett would respond by saying "lake!" because he recognizes that word.  Well, yesterday, he responded, "cuh-lore!"  With big eyes, I said, "yes, you are right.  Brown is a color."  Another fun instance yesterday: Everett's favorite place to go out to eat is the Black Cat coffee shop (they have a fun little kid area with toys and books).  Whenever we go down the street it is on, he says "black cat black cat!"  Well, we had dinner with "kuh-muh" and "kuh-pa" yesterday and Everett spotted furby, the black and white fuzzball of a cat.  Instead of squealing, "kitty!" he said, "black cat!"  Brian asked if he really understood that Furby was a black cat and I said that I assumed so.  He repeated it several times after that too.  Like I said, genius.

In other news, we have a leaking window.  You might say, "now Beth, I thought you had gorgeous, brand new Pella windows throughout your house and that's one of the reasons you decided to buy it?" and you, my friend, would be right.  However, there are four teeny tiny windows up in our ginormous, uninsulated attic and one of them has some issues.  So there is water on an inner wall of our attic.  This preoccupies every thought in husband's head and he has been watching youtube videos, researching ladders, and buying a new window since last night (well, and working and making himself doctor and optometrist appointments....what can I say?   I have to make appointments for two and a half other people, I can't handle him too!)  So yeah.  We're going to have an interesting weekend of trying to install a new window that is a different size from the current one (it was in stock now, and not in two weeks).

No comments: