Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Still Daycare Drama

Everett is still having a bit of a rough time with the idea of going to daycare.  At least this morning, we didn't get any "no! no!"s as we approached the house, and he was even excited to get in and say hi to a little boy, but then quickly ran to my legs and latched on.  It makes me sad that he is so stressed out about this and the way he acts makes me wonder if it's the way he is treated by the teacher or what.  This morning, she called as we were about to leave (Brian came with today to see if drop-off would go better) to ask if he had a blankie he might want to bring.  Mind you, she explicitly told us before that he could not bring personal toys and such.  So I offered him two blankies and two stuffies before we left and he picked his daddy blankie (Brian's old baby blanket) and a beanie baby cat and we took those to daycare today to try and give him something to cling to.  Obviously it bothers me to leave my little boy crying for me, but I realize that it's good for him in the long run to get used to having to share attention, toys, etc. and be in a new setting.  What bothers me is how much the provider mentions it.  I know I need to understand his emotions and how he did but it seems like all she ever tells me is how much he whined for "mamadaddy" all day.  When I pick him up after work, he's happy to see me, ready to go, and waves goodbye to everyone, so the only way I know he has a rough time all day is her telling me so.  I figure I'll give it another good month of trying this out.  If he is still stressed and crying at drop-off then, I'll just have to figure something else out.  Sigh.  Life can be hard as a part-time working mama.

1 comment:

The Zak Family said...

Ah, hang in there. :( Poor Everett (and Mommy)!

Can I ask where he goes?